Monday, March 12, 2012

Reading Nooks Rock

For the first time in I don't know how long, I went to a cafe this weekend to just sit and read. It was lovely. I camped out at little tea shop in Columbus Circle (Argo Tea) for about three hours, sitting in the sunshine, relaxing and enjoying some solitude with my book.

I wish I could find more places in NYC to sit and read like that but that are even more relaxing, comfortable, and unrushed. I need a little NYC reading nook, if you will. I've found a few cafes I enjoy, but they aren't quite reading areas.

Truth be told, I became very jealous when I saw a post on Stylist.com about what makes a great reading area and the accompanying slideshow of some of the best reading spaces:

There's nothing more relaxing than curling up in a blanket with a good book. And though you can immerse yourself in story anywhere, maximize your reading experience in a calm, quiet and relaxing space. A home library would be a wonderful and ideal place for your literary endeavors, and you wouldn't need a card for instant membership. Instead, look to the walls around your home and the comfortable seating you already own to design the perfect reading space. Here are a few tips to remember when planning a literary escape.

Comfy accoutrements. To let go and fully immerse yourself in a story, you need to be comfortable. And whether that's on your bed, sitting on the couch or lying on the floor, make sure you have enough cushions or pillows. If you're relaxing on an expansive couch or armchair, make sure there's a side or coffee table nearby to place any beverages. Also, you may want to choose a color palette that is serene and subtle. It can be hard to focus when the sequence pillows and fuchsia walls keep drawing your eyes.

Bring in light. Reading tiny text is already straining your eyes, so don't make it worse with a dimly lit room. Choose an area next to a window to get as much natural lighting as possible. If dark moody rooms are more your style, install hanging pendant lights over your armchair or place table lamps on a side table. The extra lighting will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Search for silence. If you can help it, avoid creating a reading space around your TV or computer. Constant sound and pretty moving pictures can be tempting when you're trying to concentrate.

And, finally, flip through the slideshow below to see 16 stunning libraries and reading areas that are inspiring us lately, ranging from the ultra modern and minimal to the cozy and charming.

See the original post HERE

These are my faves from the slideshow (I do, however, wish they would tell me where these rooms/libraries are located. FAIL.) :







Where do YOU like to read? (New Yorkers, recommendations welcome!)

1 comment: