Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Judy Blume Moves to the 21st Century, E-book style

Ahhh, Judy Blume....

Like many women my age, I've read my share of her books. My mom awkwardly gave me a copy of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret when I was ten, to prepare me for "womanhood." It was kind of a cop out in a way, but I'd probably do the same to my daughter, if I ever have one. Why? Because it did actually help. I still have it on my shelf at home, in fact. I learned a lot from Judy Blume. As have likely millions of girls. There's even a book of essays out there called Everything I Need to Know About Being a Girl, I Learned from Judy Blume.

Truth.

Anyway, all that said, it made me smile today to hear the news on GalleyCat today that her books are finally coming out as e-books:
Random House Children’s Books is publishing 13 eBooks from children’s author Judy Blume. The first 10 books will be available on March 21st in the U.S. and Canada.

This includes classic books like Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret; Deenie; Blubber; and Tiger Eyes. Later this year, Random House will release eBook editions of The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo, Freckle Juice, and The Pain and the Great One, a picture book.

Blume had this quote in the release: “This is an exciting day for me. I’m happy that my readers, many of whom have been patiently waiting, will now be able to choose which format works best for them to enjoy their favorite books.”

Beverly Horowitz, VP & Publisher, Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers, stated: “Judy Blume’s voice has universal appeal. Her honest and witty books will continue to encourage reading, with an expanding reach in this format.”

See the original post HERE

With this digital age upon us and the growing popularity of e-reading, it's becoming more and more important to ensure that important books like these, books that can be so impactful and comforting while coming of age, are available in a variety of formats.

While, sure, some of the things discussed will be outdated here in the 21st century--they were outdated even when I read them--the core concepts are the same. And if that can help even one girl be more confident about growing up, well then I say it's worth it. Bring on the Judy Blume e-books.

No comments:

Post a Comment