Friday, February 4, 2011

Penguins list of 10 Essential Classics is a Heartbreaker

Even people who hate to read seem to have at least one classic novel that they love. At least that's what I've seen in my experience.

My little sister (now 22), for example, hated reading for a long, loooong time. It wasn't until she read Of Mice and Men at my incessant prodding that she actually started to enjoy it. Now, I can usually convince her to read books pretty easily. Not that she reads a ton, but that one classic made reading a positive experience for her.

So, I was intrigued when Penguin released its list of the top ten "Essential Penguin Classics." And I was, quite honestly, disappointed with the picks listed:

Where are the edgier classics? Farehnheit 451? Slaughterhouse 5? Lolita? Of Mice and Men, my sister's fave?

It breaks my heart a little to see that all the books voted on here are on the fluffier side, nothing really dark. Sure, most of them are from the Romantic Age--a period that tends to be broodier than it sounds--but still. Not exactly books I would categorize as life changers or thought provokers.

What book do you wish made this list?

1 comment:

  1. The edgiest thing they have on there is the Canterbury Tales. How disappointing!

    ReplyDelete